SUGAR, ARE YOU ADDICTED? 6 TIPS TO QUIT
Nowadays, sugar begins to be considered a “legal” drug, like alcohol and nicotine. This is because the general population haven’t yet started to become aware of effects on health, making it dangerous and we don’t measure them consume.
This excessive consumption globally increases the conic-degenerative diseases. Some diseases are heart disease, type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, obesity, kidney diseases, polycystic ovary, some kinds of cancer and some diseases.
Furthermore, sugar stimulates neurotransmitters release, such as dopamine (brings happiness), serotonin (brings peace of mind) and beta endorphins (brings euphoria), causing the need for the consumption, craving.
It is therefore that sugar is a drug and cause addiction, thus It meets the requirements of the American Psychiatric Association about drugs: excessive consumption, withdrawal syndrome and craving.
If you are addicted or even what you are not but want to learn more, here is a list of tips that you should bear in mind to quit sugar in your life.
LIST OF TIPS
CHANGE YOUR MENTALITY
Just as the rest of drugs, sugar provides energy and happiness. This only encourages consumers to continue to consume. At this point, we must change our mentality to break the addiction. We have to change the feeling of happiness and energy for the feeling to damage and to poison the body.
CHANGE YOUR HABITS
Another step would be to consider whether to change your habits. We have to identify the bad dietary habits and to replace them with good habits. For instance, replaces sugary snacks by nuts like walnut.
LEARN TO READ THE NUTRITION FACTS
We must bear in mind when we go shopping, to read the nutrition facts to identify the sugar that the producers include. In the large majority of cases, the food manufacturers added sugar in their various forms. Thus, the general consumers don’t identify the sugar. If you don’t know to identify the sugar in the nutrition facts, it will have to show you a percentage. For instance, a 600 ml soda bottle has 61%
REMOVE IT AL
When you are addicted, the sugar creates an addictive effect on you. If you start to eliminate the sugar in your life, it will be provoking appearance of withdrawal symptoms. After this period, the chemical dependency and withdrawal symptoms will not appear in your life. The problem is when you partially remove the drug because You think that you will be able to remove better. You will only get extend the stress and suffering. In the case of sugar, the complete elimination to your diet it’s difficult because the fruits, vegetable, among others, have sugar like fructose. On the other hand, you can remove the processed sugars.
REORDER YOUR PANTRY
Once we know to identify the sugar on the nutritional facts, we must check our pantry to eliminate the products with sugar and buying new food products. We’ll give you a list of processed sugar free food:
- Vegetables. You can buy all types of vegetables on the market, there’s anything that cannot be consumed.
- Fruits. If you eat the whole fruit, you will acquire water, fiber, antioxidants and minerals that minimize the fructose.
- Nut. Raw and unsalted.
- Meats and poultry. You can eat all the variety of meats, with the exception of marinated meats.
- Dairy. Eggs, whole milk and butter. The yoghurts have big quantities of processed sugar.
- Seafood. Just like meats, the exception is marinated seafood.
- Breads. The bread with low levels of sugar is the whole-grain breads (wheat, oat, multi-grain).
- Drink. Only water and whole milk.
- Cereals. In general, have processed sugar, choose oat.
- Chocolates and sweets. Never.
- Sauces. Be careful, it contains processed sugar.
RULES FOR EATING OUT
- Try to only drink water, tea and coffee.
- Order salad without dressing.
- Order meat, poultry and seafood without sauces.
- Try to eat simple dishes.
- Prefers a coffee or tea, instead of dessert.
- The fast food is banned.